If your child is into science, technology, engineering and math (or would they like to be), this is the time for them to shine. Read or talk through a STEM book with us and then we’ll do a STEM-based activity together.
Attention, Junior Scientists! This STEM-based program on Zoom for ages 5-8 features a book and science activities that encourage deep thinking, inquiry, and fun. Each week we will use a variety of materials to explore a scientific concept.
Here is the list of this month’s books and supplies:
Theme: Celebration of the Arts
Featured Book: Meet Yasmin! By Saadia Faruqi
- 2-3 pieces of paper
- Crayons or colored pencils
Theme: Music and Movement
Featured Book: Music: The Sound of Science by Margaret Albertson
- Paper Plate (or a plastic container or tissue box)
- Rubber bands of different widths
- Popsicle sticks or ruler
- Markers, crayons, or color pencils
Theme: Food and Cooking
Featured Book: Bread Lab! written by Kim Binczewski and illustrated by Hayelin Choi
- 4 packages dry yeast or 6 tsp
- 4 Small re-closable plastic bags
- Permanent marker or post-it notes and pen
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tsp sugar
- 2 cups water (1 ½ cups of warm water, ½ cup cold water)
Featured Book: Take a Ride by My Side by Jonathan Ying
-20 pieces of 8.5 x 11 paper
- Masking tape
- 2 stacks of books stacked up about 9 inches each (Or boxes, or Tupperware containers that can be stacked to about the same height)
- Small toy car (Like a small Hot Wheels car or something less than 4 inches)
Registration is required for this event, and must be completed two hours prior to the start time. A library card is required for registration. If you do not have a card, click here to obtain a card.
Attendance is limited. Your Zoom name must match your registration name for you to be admitted to the program. A link to the Zoom meeting room will be sent 1 hour prior to the event.
Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, accommodations for persons with disabilities are available upon request. Please allow 1–2 business days to process. Last-minute requests will be accepted, but may not be possible to fulfill. Please ask for Learning Services at 255-2665 or email JPLprograms@coj.net.
AGE GROUP: | School Age |
EVENT TYPE: | Youth Program | Science |
TAGS: | Youth Program | STEM | Science | Junior Scholars | Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month |
|Mon, Mar 27||12:00PM to 8:00PM|
|Tue, Mar 28||12:00PM to 8:00PM|
|Wed, Mar 29||10:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Thu, Mar 30||10:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Fri, Mar 31||10:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sat, Apr 01||10:00AM to 6:00PM|
|Sun, Apr 02||Closed|